In the New Year, Hollywood beauties walked the red carpet of the Golden Globes Awards 2015 matching their sartorial styles to their hairdos. They brought the ever-favourite retro waves back, a side-swept version of the vintage do.
While Amy Adams, Jessica Chastain, Reese Witherspoon, Heldi Klum, Leslie Mann and Katherine Reigl wore their mid-length hair to the side with cascading curls sitting gracefully on their shoulders, Ruth Wilson and Allison Williams didn’t hesitate to twirl their short crops too. Salma Hayek added a touch of spring with white roses in her hair.
Get the look: Side-swept waves at Golden Globe Awards 2015
Celebrity hairstylist Rod Anker decodes the rec carpet look:
1. Wash and condition the hair using a light conditioner (Anker prefers the volumizing conditioner by Schwarzkopf as it is light and yet closes the cuticle).
2. Blow dry with a wooden bristle brush. “This protects the hair and seals the cuticle; metal, ceramic and titanium brushes overheat the hair causing breakage,” explains Anker.
3. Once complete, take two inch horizontal sections starting at the nape and tong each section under. Secure with fine clips (keeping the curl intact). Follow all the way to the top; once at the eyebrow height take three inch sections.
4. Take a fine hairspray (Vogue suggests Sebastian Texture Maker) and very lightly spray the entire head from approximately a meter away, count to 30 then remove the clips.
5. “Gently brush out and I mean gently, keeping the wave and ensuring you work the wave and not brush it out,” suggests Anker. If you have thick hair you can add a light serum for shine (Vogue suggests Toni & Guy Glamour: Serum Drops) but don’t go crazy. The key word is “light”!