Mumbai By Kabir Ali
Abu Dhabi attracts filmmakers, and now new film ‘Dhishoom’ to shoot there
Abu Dhabi has become the Middle Eastern production hub of choice for filmmakers – in fact Abu Dhabi was the only Middle Eastern city to be listed in the top international filming locations in 2014 by P3 magazine.
Bollywood movies like Bang Bang and Baby, Hollywood movies Fast &Furious7 andStar Wars: The Force Awakens, TV series Bold and the Beautiful, BBC’s Top Gear and many more haveshot in Abu Dhabi. The Abu Dhabi Film Commission,which is part of twofour54, a Media Zone Authority Companyis responsible for all the necessary processes for filmmakersto ensure their experience in the Emirate is of the highest international standard.
Abu Dhabi Film Commission is the central contact for production-related matters in the Emirate and provides the following services in conjunction with twofour54:
- A generous 30% cash-back production rebate* on spend in Abu Dhabi – the only one of it’s kind in the region
- Free scouting assistance to find a diverse range of unique locations; including stunning coastlines with year-round blue skies, wild deserts, amazing oases and iconic modern and Arabic architecture.
- Assisting with the procedures to obtain shooting permits, visas, script approval, and customs clearance;
- Securing of first class studios and post-production facilitiesat competitive ratesas well as experienced professional crew and supplier bases
- Booking of all travel related requirements including flights, accommodation, transport and restaurants
Paul Baker is the executive director of Film& TV services at twofour54, as well as overseeing Abu Dhabi Film commission. In his role, Paul is responsible for the operations and ongoing development of content production in Abu Dhabi. Paul Baker mentioned India to be the production hub with the best quality crew.
The Head of the Abu Dhabi Film Commission, Michael (Mick) Flannigan, is an experienced filmmaker. Mick has produced over 40 feature films most recently Mick has served as Head of Production for the Hollywood movie “2 Guns”, starring Denzel Washington & Mark Wahlberg,”Escape Plan”, starring Sylvester Stallone & Arnold Schwarzenegger and “Lone Survivor”, starring Mark Wahlberg & Eric Bana. Mick spoke about the Incentive with infrastructure architecture – USD 2.5 billion equipment, with over 300 technicians available in Abu Dhabi.